Whole 30. Have you heard about it? Many people associate this challenge with the Paleo diet. I kept hearing about how amazing you feel when you eat unprocessed, whole foods and after several of my friends tried it and felt so amazing afterwards, I decided why not try it too?
I did my research and found an amazing book called "It Starts with Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig and instantly fell in love with this way of eating. Food has always been a struggle for me and I struggle with sugar and carbs especially. This book was so eye opening and made me understand why the food I am eating makes me feel the way I do. Their website whole9life.com is a great resource for understanding the program and the science behind it.
I can't say I'm looking forward to the next 30 days after I read their "what to expect" on each day. I am scared, nervous and praying that I have the strength to stay on track each day. I plan to blog everyday or as much as possible to help inspire, rant, experience this whole 30 challenge that I'm doing.
Today was spent meal planning and prepping for the week.
I found this meal planner on pinterest (of course) You can find it here: http://www.thejoycottage.com/search/label/free
Preparation is going to be the key to my success. If I plan well, I know I will succeed. Tonight I made homemade Olive Oil Mayo that can be found in "It Starts with Food." I was a little nervous about it, but it turned out amazing! Here is the recipe I followed. I doubled the recipe so I could make some ranch dressing, tarter sauce and avocado dressing.
1 egg
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 c. + 1 c. light tasting olive oil (not extra-virgin)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp salt
Put the egg and lemon juice in a blender or food processor, cover and let it come to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Add in 1/4 cup oil, mustard, salt, blend on medium speed until all ingredients are combined. With the motor running drizzle in the remaining 1 cup of oil in a very thin stream, this should take 2-3 minutes. Store covered in the fridge.
You can't go wrong! I think this challenge is really making me think about what is going into my body and what food is really made of. I am ready for tomorrow, knowing I will feel great and then the carb flu will take over my body. I know what to expect and I am ready for it!
Here we go!

Go Katie!! I think sharing your story is not only a great way to hold yourself accountable (at least for me anyway) but it's great for you to remember how you felt through it all (it's not ALL rosy for a while!) and it's the most powerful story to show others how important our food choices are. The blogs and testimonials are honestly what convinced me to try this--I'm so grateful for all of them that I read! Have a great day 1 tomorrow--with all your planning and prep done this weekend, you're off to a great start! I'll be following your journey! :)
ReplyDelete